1/2 oz dried wood ear mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
8 leaves napa cabbage
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tsp Asian hot chile oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 1/2 cup thick-sliced white mushrooms
1 heaping tbs arrowroot and cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1 pound extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped scallions
1. Soak wood ear mushrooms in boiling water, covered, for 20 minutes.
2. Lay napa leaves on top of each other, and sliced widthwise. Set aside.
3. Pour next six ingredients into a soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add cabbage and fresh mushrooms. Cook until completely wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Strain wood ear mushrooms and chop into small pieces. Add to soup.
5. Mix arrowroot with water until just dissolved. Add to soup and stir until slightly thickened.
6. Add shredded carrots and tofu, and cook until just heated through. Serve with scallions.
From the Veganomicon