6 ears fresh corn
3 tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced finely
1 large onion, finely diced
1 small bulb fennel (about 1/2 pound), diced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 large carrot, diced
1 pound white, waxy potatoes (about 2) peeled and diced
2 tsp dried thyme
2 quarts Fresh Corn Stock, vegetable broth, or water
1 pound tomatoes, chopped finely
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped into thin strips
salt and freshly ground paper
1. Cut corn off cobs. Break cobs in half and use in stock.
2. Saute garlic in oil for about 30 seconds, then add onions. Stir and cover, sweating for about 5 minutes.
3. Add carrot and celery, cook for 2 minutes. Add fennel, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add potatoes and cook, covered, for another 3 minutes. Finally, add the corn and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add stock and bring to boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer, covered but slightly open, for 45 minutes.
5. Turn off soup, add 1 1/2 cups to a blender. Blend and stir back into soup.
6. Bring soup back to medium heat. Add tomatoes and basil and simmer for 10 more minutes.
From the Veganomicon