1/3 cup nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10 oz) frozen okra, slightly thawed and thinly sliced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice, preferably fire-roasted
3 roasted red peppers, jarred or homemade
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup ale-style beer
3 tbs tomato paste
2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp allspice
1/3 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 bay leaves
4-5 sprigs of thyme
pinch of cayenne
1 tsp salt, or to taste
several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
1. For roux: melt margarine and sprinkle in flour until dissolved. Cook until thick and caramel colored, 10-14 minutes.
2. Add chopped onions and peppers to roux. Raise heat to medium high and cook about 12 minutes.
3. Add next three ingredients and cook for another 6 minutes.
4. Add next four ingredients and stir in. Next add allspice, liquid smoke, grated nutmeg, bay leaves and thyme leaves.
5. Raise heat to boil, then simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
From the Veganomicon