6 tbs olive oil
1 recipe Simple Seitan, cut into bite-size pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 heaping tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup cooking sherry or vegetable broth
2 cups long-grain rice, brown or white
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can white kidney (cannellini) beans
1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans
1 bay leaf
4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
1. In a large pot, saute seitan for 4 to 6 minutes until browned. Remove from pot an set aside.
2. Add more oil to the pot, and saute onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Saute for 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for an additional four minutes.
3. Stir in sherry and cook for 20 seconds. Add rice and cook for about 4 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes, sietan, beans, bay leaf, all herbs, and salt & pepper to taste.
4. Cover and place in over for 30 to 35 minutes, until rice is tender. (If using brown rice, increase time to 40 to 45 minutes.
5. Remove, stir and cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
From the Veganomicon