1/2 pound whole wheat rotelle or other spiral pasta
Spicy fennel tempeh:
1 (15 oz) package tempeh, cubed
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs vegetable broth
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs tomato paste
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 tbs fennel seeds
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to tase
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 bunch broccoli rabe (1/2 – 3/4 pound), tough stems trimmed, chopped coarsely
2-3 tbs white whine, water, or vegetable broth
2 tsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package and toss with olive oil.
2. Whisk together broth, tomato paste, soy sauce, fennel seeds, pepper flakes, and oregano. Place tempeh in skillet and pour mixture over it.
3. Cover and steam for 8 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir a few times.
4. Transfer tempeh to a bowl and crumble half of the cubes with a spoon.
5. Wipe skillet, raise to medium heat until oil sizzles. Fry tempeh for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to pasta.
6. Cook garlic in oil for about a minute. Add broccoli rabe, sprinkle with salt, and cook 2 more minutes.
7. Sprinkle 2 tbs of white wine and steam for 8 to 10 minutes, until rabe is bright green.
8. Remove cover and saute for another minute or two, until liquid has evaporated.
9. Pour rabe onto tempeh and pasta, sprinkle with red wine vinegar, season with salt & pepper, and toss.
From the Veganomicon